All Dog Breeds >>History of Bedlington Terrier
The famed progenitor of Bedlington was a dog named "Old Flint", whelped in 1782 and owned by "Squire Trevelyan." Originally, the breed was known as the "Rothbury" or "Rodbery Terrier." This name derived from a famous bitch brought from Staffordshire by a company of nail makers who settled in Rothbury. The Terriers of this section were accustomed to rodent hunting underground, and worked with packs of foxhounds kept there at the time. It is suggested that the Bedlington may well have made its way to Ireland and played a part in the early development of the Kerry Blue Terrier. The first Bedlington Terrier club was formed in 1877. The Bedlington Terrier was recognized by the United Kennel Club in 1948. Ch. Femars' Cable Car, descendant of Ch. Rock Ridge Night Rocket winner of best-in-show at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in 1948, was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated in the February 8, 1960 edition.